I am a researcher in Kubista lab where I am interested in utilizing different tools for single cell gene expression analysis, especially using RT-qPCR and RNA-Seq. My research is focused on characterization of glial cells (especially astrocytes, NG2 cells, microglia) in different pathophysiological conditions - after ischemic brain injury or in the progression of neurodegenerative diseases (Alzheimer’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). I am also interested in new method development and their application in interesting models, e.g. role of microRNAs and their application as biomarkers in patients with acute spinal cord injury. I collaborate with several laboratories, mainly from Institute of Experimental Medicine, using most current approaches for gene expression analysis in the field (their implementation is an important part of my work). I received my PhD at University of Chemistry and Technology in Prague and spent few months as an intern in Denmark and Sweden. In addition to research, I enjoy training young students and learning new things. When not in lab, I love running in the mountains, partying with friends, and hanging out with my overactive dog.
- GA19-02046S Glial cells- the key players in the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. 2019-2021.
- GA18-21942S MicroRNA in central nervous system injury: potential roles and therapeutic implications. 2018-2020.
- GA17-04034S Principal signaling pathways regulating NG2 glia proliferation and differentiation following brain injuries. 2017-2019.
- GA16-10214S Age-related changes in brain diffusivity, extracellular matrix composition and glial physiology - impact on pathogenesis of ischemia. 2016-2018.
- GA13-02154S Gene expression profiling and functional characterization of glial cell subpopulations following ischemic brain injury. 2013-2016.
- Two-tailed RT-qPCR panel for quality control of circulating microRNA studies. Androvic P, Romanyuk N, Urdzikova-Machova L, Rohlova E, Kubista M, Valihrach L. Sci Rep. 2019 Mar 12;9(1):4255. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-40513-w.
- Metformin Increases Proliferative Activity and Viability of Multipotent Stromal Stem Cells Isolated from Adipose Tissue Derived from Horses with Equine Metabolic Syndrome. Smieszek A, Kornicka K, Szłapka-Kosarzewska J, Androvic P, Valihrach L, Langerova L, Rohlova E, Kubista M, Marycz K. Cells. 2019 Jan 22;8(2). pii: E80. doi: 10.3390/cells8020080.
- The Contribution of TRPV4 Channels to Astrocyte Volume Regulation and Brain Edema Formation. Pivonkova H, Hermanova Z, Kirdajova D, Awadova T, Malinsky J, Valihrach L, Zucha D, Kubista M, Galisova A, Jirak D, Anderova M. Neuroscience. 2018 Dec 1;394:127-143. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2018.10.028. Epub 2018 Oct 24.
- A single-cell analysis reveals multiple roles of oligodendroglial lineage cells during post-ischemic regeneration. Valny M, Honsa P, Waloschkova E, Matuskova H, Kriska J, Kirdajova D, Androvic P, Valihrach L, Kubista M, Anderova M. Glia. 2018 May;66(5):1068-1081. doi: 10.1002/glia.23301.
- Platforms for Single-Cell Collection and Analysis. Valihrach L, Androvic P, Kubista M. Int J Mol Sci. 2018 Mar 11;19(3). pii: E807. doi: 10.3390/ijms19030807.
- Two-tailed RT-qPCR: a novel method for highly accurate miRNA quantification. Androvic P, Valihrach L, Elling J, Sjoback R, Kubista M. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017 Sep 6;45(15):e144. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkx588.
- The correlation between expression profiles measured in single cells and in traditional bulk samples. Dzamba D, Valihrach L, Kubista M, Anderova M. Sci Rep. 2016 Nov 16;6:37022. doi: 10.1038/srep37022.
- Generation of reactive astrocytes from NG2 cells is regulated by sonic hedgehog. Honsa P, Valny M, Kriska J, Matuskova H, Harantova L, Kirdajova D, Valihrach L, Androvic P, Kubista M, Anderova M. Glia. 2016 Sep;64(9):1518-31. doi: 10.1002/glia.23019. Epub 2016 Jun 24.
- Quantitative Analysis of Glutamate Receptors in Glial Cells from the Cortex of GFAP/EGFP Mice Following Ischemic Injury: Focus on NMDA Receptors. Dzamba D, Honsa P, Valny M, Kriska J, Valihrach L, Novosadova V, Kubista M, Anderova M. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2015 Nov;35(8):1187-202. doi: 10.1007/s10571-015-0212-8. Epub 2015 May 21.
- Altered astrocytic swelling in the cortex of α-syntrophin-negative GFAP/EGFP mice. Anderova M, Benesova J, Mikesova M, Dzamba D, Honsa P, Kriska J, Butenko O, Novosadova V, Valihrach L, Kubista M, Dmytrenko L, Cicanic M, Vargova L. PLoS One. 2014 Nov 26;9(11):e113444. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0113444. eCollection 2014.
- Increased expression of hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated (HCN) channels in reactive astrocytes following ischemia. Honsa P, Pivonkova H, Harantova L, Butenko O, Kriska J, Dzamba D, Rusnakova V, Valihrach L, Kubista M, Anderova M. Glia. 2014 Dec;62(12):2004-21. doi: 10.1002/glia.22721. Epub 2014 Jul 14.