I am a researcher in Kubista lab where I am interested in utilizing different tools for single cell gene expression analysis, especially using RT-qPCR and RNA-Seq. My research is focused on characterization of glial cells (astrocytes, microglia, oligodendrocytes and NG2 glia) in different pathophysiological conditions - after ischemic brain injury or in the progression of neurodegenerative diseases (Alexander disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). I am also interested in new method development and their application in interesting models, e.g. role of microRNAs and their application as biomarkers in patients with acute spinal cord injury. I collaborate with several laboratories, mainly from Institute of Experimental Medicine, using most current approaches for gene expression analysis in the field (their implementation is an important part of my work). I received my PhD at University of Chemistry and Technology in Prague and spent few months as an intern in Denmark and Sweden. In addition to research, I enjoy training young students and learning new things. When not in lab, I love running in the mountains, partying with friends, and hanging out with my overactive dog.
- NU21-08-00286 Circulating microRNAs as biomarkers for evaluating the severity of acute spinal cord injury. 2021-2024.
- EJPRD19-256 ALEXANDER - The astrocyte nanofilament system in Alexander disease – from molecules to function, uncovering new leads for therapy. 2020-2022.
- GA20-05770S The role of glial TRPV4 channels in brain edema formation and post-ischemic regeneration. 2020-2022.
- GA19-02046S Glial cells- the key players in the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. 2019-2021.
- GA18-21942S MicroRNA in central nervous system injury: potential roles and therapeutic implications. 2018-2020.
- GA17-04034S Principal signaling pathways regulating NG2 glia proliferation and differentiation following brain injuries. 2017-2019.
- GA16-10214S Age-related changes in brain diffusivity, extracellular matrix composition and glial physiology - impact on pathogenesis of ischemia. 2016-2018.
GA13-02154S Gene expression profiling and functional characterization of glial cell subpopulations following ischemic brain injury. 2013-2016.
- Department of Cellular Neurophysiology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Czech Academy of Sciences
- Laboratory of Astrocyte Biology and CNS Regeneration, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Laboratory of Regenerative Neuroimmunology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Department of Translational Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht Brain Center, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Decoding the transcriptional response to ischemic stroke in young and aged mouse brain. Androvic P, Belov Kirdajova D, Tureckova J, Zucha D, Rohlova E, Abaffy P, Kriska J, Anderova M, Kubista M, Valihrach L. Cell Rep. 2020 Jun 16;31(11):107777. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2020.107777.
- The Role of miR-21 in Osteoblasts-Osteoclasts Coupling In Vitro. Smieszek A, Marcinkowska K, Pielok A, Sikora M, Valihrach L, Marycz K. Cells. 2020 Feb 19;9(2). pii: E479. doi: 10.3390/cells9020479.
- High potassium exposure reveals the altered ability of astrocytes to regulate their volume in the aged hippocampus of GFAP/EGFP mice. Kolenicova D, Tureckova J, Pukajova B, Harantova L, Kriska J, Kirdajova D, Vorisek I, Kamenicka M, Valihrach L, Androvic P, Kubista M, Vargova L, Anderova M. Neurobiol Aging. 2019 Oct 22. pii: S0197-4580(19)30372-0. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2019.10.009.
- Performance Comparison of Reverse Transcriptases for Single-Cell Studies. Zucha D, Androvic P, Kubista M, Valihrach L. Clin Chem. 2019 Nov 7. pii: clinchem.2019.307835. doi: 10.1373/clinchem.2019.307835.
- Circulating miRNA analysis for cancer diagnostics and therapy. Valihrach L, Androvic P, Kubista M. Mol Aspects Med. 2019 Oct 18:100825. doi: 10.1016/j.mam.2019.10.002.
- Two-tailed RT-qPCR panel for quality control of circulating microRNA studies. Androvic P, Romanyuk N, Urdzikova-Machova L, Rohlova E, Kubista M, Valihrach L. Sci Rep. 2019 Mar 12;9(1):4255. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-40513-w.
- Metformin Increases Proliferative Activity and Viability of Multipotent Stromal Stem Cells Isolated from Adipose Tissue Derived from Horses with Equine Metabolic Syndrome. Smieszek A, Kornicka K, Szłapka-Kosarzewska J, Androvic P, Valihrach L, Langerova L, Rohlova E, Kubista M, Marycz K. Cells. 2019 Jan 22;8(2). pii: E80. doi: 10.3390/cells8020080.
- The Contribution of TRPV4 Channels to Astrocyte Volume Regulation and Brain Edema Formation. Pivonkova H, Hermanova Z, Kirdajova D, Awadova T, Malinsky J, Valihrach L, Zucha D, Kubista M, Galisova A, Jirak D, Anderova M. Neuroscience. 2018 Dec 1;394:127-143. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2018.10.028. Epub 2018 Oct 24.
- A single-cell analysis reveals multiple roles of oligodendroglial lineage cells during post-ischemic regeneration. Valny M, Honsa P, Waloschkova E, Matuskova H, Kriska J, Kirdajova D, Androvic P, Valihrach L, Kubista M, Anderova M. Glia. 2018 May;66(5):1068-1081. doi: 10.1002/glia.23301.
- Platforms for Single-Cell Collection and Analysis. Valihrach L, Androvic P, Kubista M. Int J Mol Sci. 2018 Mar 11;19(3). pii: E807. doi: 10.3390/ijms19030807.
- Two-tailed RT-qPCR: a novel method for highly accurate miRNA quantification. Androvic P, Valihrach L, Elling J, Sjoback R, Kubista M. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017 Sep 6;45(15):e144. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkx588.
- The correlation between expression profiles measured in single cells and in traditional bulk samples. Dzamba D, Valihrach L, Kubista M, Anderova M. Sci Rep. 2016 Nov 16;6:37022. doi: 10.1038/srep37022.
- Generation of reactive astrocytes from NG2 cells is regulated by sonic hedgehog. Honsa P, Valny M, Kriska J, Matuskova H, Harantova L, Kirdajova D, Valihrach L, Androvic P, Kubista M, Anderova M. Glia. 2016 Sep;64(9):1518-31. doi: 10.1002/glia.23019. Epub 2016 Jun 24.
- Quantitative Analysis of Glutamate Receptors in Glial Cells from the Cortex of GFAP/EGFP Mice Following Ischemic Injury: Focus on NMDA Receptors. Dzamba D, Honsa P, Valny M, Kriska J, Valihrach L, Novosadova V, Kubista M, Anderova M. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2015 Nov;35(8):1187-202. doi: 10.1007/s10571-015-0212-8. Epub 2015 May 21.
- Altered astrocytic swelling in the cortex of α-syntrophin-negative GFAP/EGFP mice. Anderova M, Benesova J, Mikesova M, Dzamba D, Honsa P, Kriska J, Butenko O, Novosadova V, Valihrach L, Kubista M, Dmytrenko L, Cicanic M, Vargova L. PLoS One. 2014 Nov 26;9(11):e113444. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0113444. eCollection 2014.
- Increased expression of hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated (HCN) channels in reactive astrocytes following ischemia. Honsa P, Pivonkova H, Harantova L, Butenko O, Kriska J, Dzamba D, Rusnakova V, Valihrach L, Kubista M, Anderova M. Glia. 2014 Dec;62(12):2004-21. doi: 10.1002/glia.22721. Epub 2014 Jul 14.